About Me

My photo
Born in the US, raised on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, lived in Italy, the US, and Canada. Lover of language, travel, colour, and the natural world.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Swell Season

A number of years ago I watched the film ONCE. I fell in love with it both because of the frank, honest and humorous perspective it took to relationships, but also because I absolutely *loved* the music. The two main characters in the movie, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, are actually professional musicians. They have a band called The Swell Season, and they went on to record many more tunes, and perform all over the world.

Yesterday I came across Youtube videos of some of their songs -- some of which were from the film, and others newer compositions. The purity of their harmonies blows me away, so I just had to share some of my favourite clips with you. (Disclaimer: I did not film any of these. Please follow the link to the YouTube video for the source).

This first one is of a song I had never heard before, called In These Arms: 



This second video is of another song I had never heard before, but love, called Forgive Me:


The last three clips I have heard many times before, and I think are just beautiful. The first is called If you want me: 


The second is called All the way down. I couldn't find one recording that is perfect. This one is cut off at the beginning and end, but the sound quality is the best of all the choices:



The last clip is called The Hill:



And with that, I will leave you. Have a great Saturday, and I hope you enjoy these tunes as much as I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment